Presenter: Sara Cegelski, Senior Training and Development Consultant, HR Works
This course will emphasize the strong connection between employee growth and a supervisor’s use of strong coaching skills with employees. The session will highlight the ways in which coaching is more effective than “telling” as it reduces learning time, increases retention and improves employee accountability and commitment. The training will provide an opportunity to practice specific coaching skills, including assessing employee readiness, clarifying expectations, asking questions engaging questions and fostering self-discovery, and to create an action plan that participants can apply to their own workplace situations.
- Describe effective coaching and its impact on performance management
- Identify opportunities to use coaching skills
- Describe how coaching benefits the manager-employee relationship
- Distinguish between giving instructions and coaching
- Foster employee performance improvement by using appropriate coaching skills including aligning employee responsibilities and team strategy, asking questions to engage thinking, providing ongoing constructive feedback and setting goals together